ABOUT THIS COMMUNITY ♥ ♥ ♥
This community is about the one and only GENNARO GATTUSO. Plus it's a community for you, so if you're a member, you can post some news, pics or anything about Gattuso here.
GENNARO GATTUSO ♥ ♥ ♥
Gennaro "Rino" Ivan Gattuso (born January 9, 1978 in Corigliano Calabro) is an Italian World Cup winning footballer. His position is a defensive midfielder. He currently plays for A.C. Milan, with whom he won the UEFA Champions League in the season 2002/2003 and "Scudetto" in the 2003/04 season.
Gattuso started his career at the Italian side Perugia, but transferred in July 1997 at the age of 19 to the Scottish team Rangers. Gattuso won the admiration of Rangers fans while in Glasgow, and his 'ultra-aggressive' playing technique has been put down to the training he received there. He also credits the one-time Rangers manager Walter Smith as a great influence, and describes him as a 'second father'.
Smith's successor as Rangers' manager, Dick Advocaat, did not prefer Gattuso in the team. After being played 'out-of-position' as a right-back, Gattuso was sold in October 1998 to Salernitana for £3m.
Milan spent £8m on Gattuso ten months later. His footballing ability has since improved since moving to a more pass-orientated Milan side. The current high profile Gattuso now enjoys is due to his time at Milan and his participation as part of the Italian national squad. He has been capped over fifty times for his country and played in the 2000 Summer Olympics, the 2002 World Cup, the Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup, being one of the key players for the Italian team, winning the Man of the Match award in the 2006 FIFA World Cup knockout stage match against Ukraine. He has been praised for his hard-working, strong but respectable style of playing - which, over the years, earned him the nickname of "Ringhio" ("Growl", or "the Snarler").
Gattuso's style allowed Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti to place the attacking Andrea Pirlo to adopt a defensive formation. Gattuso, who sometimes is listed as a winger, does not send too many crosses like a typical winger would normaly send. Instead, Gattuso plays a deeper role and move up to the center of the field in defence. On the National side (as well as with Milan), one often sees him move forward to win the ball for the forward players, when then returning to his defensive position.
In December 2005, at the final whistle of Milan's 3-2 defeat of Schalke 04 in the UEFA Champions League, Gattuso was seen seeking out and taunting Schalke's midfielder Christian Poulsen. Gattuso insisted that the press blew his comments way out of proportion.
Gattuso still has links to Glasgow after marrying long-time girlfriend Monica, whom he met while playing for Rangers. They have one daughter, Gabriela. The British press has also often stated his desire to return to Rangers to see out his career, or his alleged desire to join Manchester Utd, although he often comes out to rubbish these rumours. Gennaro rubbishes rumours "I am certain that I will remain at AC Milan and that I will play in Serie A next season," - (Gennaro Gattuso)
RULES ♥ ♥ ♥
(1) Please be polite to all the members of the community. You know, politness is very important to understand eachother.
(2) It is permitted to post everything around Gennaro Gattuso and Italian soccer, that includes news, pics, art work, interviews and so on...
(3) If you be impolite, write senseless entries or ask for requests (layout ...etc) or go off topic, your entry will be destroyed.
(4) You know, if you have a slow modem how long it needs to load all pictures. So if the pic you will post is too large, please resize it or do it under a LJ cut.
(5) You're required to upload your pictures by yourself. No Hotlinking. There are enough sites where you can to it without paying.
(6) If your entry is too long, please take under a LJ-cut. Here's the code: <*lj-cut text="inserttexthere"*> (you know, don't write * if you do this.
(7) Last but not least, if you have any questions or something else (like becoming a affiliate) don't be shy and write me a mail: email@example.com
layout overrides by